Olveston, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Olveston, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Langley and Swinehead|
|County||Gloucestershire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Thornbury|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1683|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
OLVESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing, with the tythings of Cote and Upper Tockington. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, and Wesleyans. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Olveston, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREEREG = FreeReg from UK Free Genealogy (free)|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|JOIN = Joiner's Marriage Index - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|OLVESTON PARISH Online Records|
|IARC||1572-1605 (gaps)||1587-1628 (gaps)||1561-1567 (gaps)|
Non-conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 476-479. Date accessed: 07 January 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- 'Extracts from Parish Registers, No. IX.: Thornbury and Olveston,' in Beaver H. Blacker, ed., Gloucestershire Notes and Queries, Vol. 3 (1887):256-257. Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' Joiner's Marriage Index, accessed 29 January 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.