|Oldenburg Wiki Topics|
|Oldenburg Major Record Types|
|Reading the Records|
|Germany Record Types|
Oldenburg Gazetteer[edit | edit source]
As there are no central record retrieval systems for German records, it is imperative to know the record jurisdictions to which your ancestor's place of origin belonged. The object of this project was to list the place names within the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg, along with:
1) Physical description, i.e. farm, city, etc.
2) Community to which it belonged, (similar to a district).
3) The name of the County Seat
4) The Lutheran parish jurisdiction.
5) Where the Lutheran records are housed.
6) The Catholic parish jurisdiction.
7) Where the Catholic records are housed.
This is currently an ongoing project.
Historical Geography[edit | edit source]
The territory of the former state of Oldenburg is currently divided among five federal states:
- County Oldenburg
- County Ammerland
- County Cloppenburg
- County of Vechta
- County Friesland
- District of Wesermarsch
- District Cuxhaven ( Municipality Landwürden )
- Landkreis Diepholz ( municipality Stuhr )
- Landkreis Leer (district Idafehn of the municipality Ostrhauderfehn )
- Free city of Oldenburg
- Free city of Delmenhorst
- Kreisfreie Stadt Wilhelmshaven
- County Ostholstein (Eutin)
- Bremerhaven since the reorganization of the Luneplate at the end of 2009
- County Birkenfeld
- District of St. Wendel