Old War Index to Pension Files, 1815-1926
|(Includes service up to 1861)|
|(list may not be complete)|
The "Old War Index to Pension Files, 1815-1926" (NARA T316) consists of index cards to pension files dated from 1815-1926. They relate mainly to pensions based on death or disability incurred in service between the years of 1816-1861. The national archives catalog describes the records as relating to service between 1783-1861, however.
The cards primarily cover Regular Army soldiers and Navy personnel, however, volunteer soldiers are often included in this index. A large number of Mexican War (1846-1848) soldiers are included. Civil War soldiers are usually only included if they had served prior to the war.
Content of the Records:
National Archives Catalog
- Old War Index to Pension Files, 1815 - 1926
- Case Files of Pension Applications Based on Death or Disability Incurred in Service between 1783 and 1861 ("Old Wars"), ca. 1815 - ca. 1930
- Lists of Dependents of Veterans Who Served in the Old Wars, 1872 - 1927. NAID 2602498
FamilySearch Historical Records
- United States, Old War Pension Index, 1815-1926 (FamilySearch)
- United States, Old War Pension Index - FamilySearch Historical Records - Wiki Article