Ohio, World War I Statement of Service Cards - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ohio, World War I Statement of Service Cards, 1914-1919
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Ohio|
|Location of Ohio|
|Record Type||Statement of Service Cards|
|Ohio Adjutant General's Office|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains an index and images of statement of service cards for Marine Corps, Navy, and out of state enlistments which was provided for by an act of Congress July 11, 1919. The collection was filmed at the Adjutant General's Office, Columbus, Ohio.
Related Article[edit | edit source]
Susan Goss Johnston, "World War I Statement of Service Cards," NGS Magazine 43 (July-September 2017): 42-45.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Age at enlistment
- Home address
- Location where enlisted
- Rating (Rank)
- Service number
- Date of discharge
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- Some other identifying information such as birth date or residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Ohio, Adjutant General's Office, World War I - Marine Corps service cards, state of Ohio, World War I - Navy service cards, state of Ohio, and World War I - out of state service cards, state of Ohio.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Use the names, ages and residence to locate the person in other records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. Pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. A table of nicknames and first names can be found in this article at ThoughtCo.
- Immigrant first names may be in their native language
- Look at the 1910 census to identify names and ages of additional family members
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Ohio.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
- Beginning United States World War I Research
- Ohio Guided Research
- Ohio Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- World War I - service cards of the state of Ohio
- World War I - out of state service cards, state of Ohio
- World War I - Navy service cards, state of Ohio
- World War I - Marine Corps service cards, state of Ohio
- Grave registrations of soldiers buried in Ohio
- Roster of soldiers of the Ohio National Guard, 1874-1917
- The Cleveland war service record : card indexes to draft registrants, pre-September 1918, World War I
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Ohio, WWI Index and Return Cards, 1916-1920.
- Ohio, World War I, Enrollment Cards 1914-1918
- United States, World War I American Expeditionary Forces Deaths, 1917-1919
- United States, World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
- United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- Ohio, Grave Registrations of Soldiers, 1810-1955
- United States, Enlisted and Officer Muster Rolls and Rosters, 1916-1939
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- The official roster of Ohio soldiers, sailors, and marines in the World War, 1917-1918. FHLC
- Honor roll of Ohio, Huron County edition : an illustrated biographical history compiled from public and private records of the World War, 1917-1918
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.