Nova Scotia Deaths, 1864-1877 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Nova Scotia Deaths, 1864-1877
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Flag of Canada|
|Flag of Nova Scotia|
|Location of Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Title in the Language||Nova Scotia Deaths|
|Nova Scotia Archives, Halifax|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes images of Nova Scotia death records from 1864-1877. Civil registration of deaths in Nova Scotia began in 1864.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Nova Scotia Deaths, 1864-1877.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Nova Scotia Deaths, 1864-1877. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If available, check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
- Church Records often were kept years before government records were required and are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Nova Scotia Record Finder to find other records
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This can help you find possible relatives
- Search the records of nearby areas
- Check for other names. An individual might appear under an unexpected name for a variety of reasons:
- They might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- A woman may have returned to her maiden name after the death of her husband
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Nova Scotia.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.