Norwich St Stephen, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Stephen, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Stephen, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
History[edit | edit source]
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co.town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail. Norwich St Stephen is an Ancient parish in the city and has parts of the building which preceded the Reformation.
The present Church is Medieval. The tower and side walls are the oldest parts of the building. They date back to the middle of the 14th century. By 1500 the central part of the Church became unsafe. The chancel was rebuilt before the Reformation, and the nave was completed after it, in 1550.
It contains many monuments for leading figures in the city history over centuries.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Stephen, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St Stephen, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles 1887.Date accessed: 3 october 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.