Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Simon and St Jude is an Ancient parish in the city.
The twin dedication of St Simon and St Jude is to two Apostles who, according to some accounts, preached the gospel in Persia and were martyred. A church almost certainly stood on this site before the Norman Conquest of 1066.
After becoming redundant, the church was used by the Scouts until 1997. It is in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust.
There are places of worship in the city forBaptists, the Society of Friends,Independents, Wesleyans, the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, andUnitarians; a synagogue; and two chapels belonging to theRoman Catholics, one of which is an elegant edifice.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Norwich St Simon and St Jude, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- Norwich Poor Law Union
- See also England Norfolk Poor Law Union Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
References:[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 446-461. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.