Norwich St Saviour, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Peter Southgate, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Saviour, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1555|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Saviour is an Ancient parish in the city.
The name is an abbreviation for "the Transfiguration of the Holy Saviour" its dedication.
The tower top storey was removed in 1853, and new set of battlements built. The belfry windows were reset lower down on the north and south sides, while on the west face the sound-hole was left in place instead. The west doorway was remodelled – either then or possibly in 1728, when the south porch was rebuilt. Its doorway is the original fifteenth-century one reset - and much mutilated. The church is now redundant and used as a youth centre. It is cared for by the Norwich Historic Churches Trust. Fittings and features were removed to other city churches.
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co.town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Saviour, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Norwich St Saviour, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- post 1837 registration events may be searched online at Free BMD
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historic photographs of the church
Norwich Historic Churches Trust http://www.norwich-churches.org/index.asp
References[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.