Norwich St Michael at Plea, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Michael at Plea, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Michael at Plea, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Michael at Plea is an Ancient Parish in the city and Diocese of Norwich. "The church of St-Michael-at-Plea, once called St Michael at Notstone, is so called because the Archdeacon of Norwich held his pleas, or courts, in the building. The lords of the manor of Sprowston and Horsford were patrons of the church."
One of the early mayors of Norwich, Richard Ferrer was buried in this church in 1616.
In 1887 the parish church was in poor condition and a major restoration was undertaken. During the process a couple of paintings from the 14th Century were discovered and the graveyard was leveled and grass planted. The church is in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust and is in use as a bookshop, Christian Resource Centre and Café. A few decaying gravestones are found propped against the back corners of the buiding.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Michael at Plea, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St Michael at Plea, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1538-1754, 1811-1902||Undefined||1538-1904||Undefined||1538-1754, 1811-1890|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Union
[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- Norwich Ordnance Survey Map (Incl 1838, 1898-1899, 1922 and present day). www.cassinimaps.com
Websites[edit | edit source]
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historic photographs of the church.
Norwich Historic Churches Trust http://www.norwich-churches.org/index.asp
- Barry Pardue, Norwich Streets Page 89
- Plaque inside St Michael at Plea church.
- Plaque located inside St Michael at Plea church.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.