Norwich St Mary Coslany, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Mary Coslany, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Mary Coslany, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Mary Coslany or St Mary -at-Coslany is an Ancient parish in the city and Diocese of Norwich.
The present church contains suggestions that it is pre-Norman. One of the early round tower churches in the diocese.
The church is in the care of the Norfolk Historic Churches Trust and is occupied by an internet book seller.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Mary Coslany, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St Mary Coslany, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
Trenor, Sandra. An Unremarkable Man - An Extraordinary Family. History and Family Tree of Stephen Stearman and Ann nee Olly, with the following surnames. Sturman, Meake, Barnes, Woodcock, Terry, Miller, Matthews. Article shows family in Suffolk, Shoreham, Walton on the Hill, Surrey, and Middlesex. Article dates from 1724-1993, and is found in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol. 6, pt. 2, June 2009, pages 107-110, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j, vol 6 pt. 2. June 2009.
Mallett, B. Which Was His Father. History and Family tree of Nicholas Mallett and Susanna Salmon,at St. Gregory, Norwich 1748, and his 2nd marriage to Sara Field at Coslany in 1777.The surnames included on the tree are Sayer, Mason, Evans, Waters-Leaving, dated from 1748 - 1963. Article in The Norfolk Ancestor, old series, vol. 4, pt. 2, page 45, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j vol.4, pt 2.
Poor Law Union[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
George Plunkettfor historic photographs of the church
Norwich Historic Churches Trust NORWICH MEDIEVAL CITY of CHURCHES
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.