Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records
|Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Martin at Palace is an Ancient Parish mentioned in the Domesday survey. It was declared redundant and became the Norwich Probation Centre in 1990.
"It is thought that, in early days, merchant ships berthed on the south side of the reiver near to the site of St Martin's church. Their cargo was unloaded onto a gravel terrace called a 'bychel', a large open area which was considerably more attractive in the Georgian period."
Today it is used as offices for Probation services. All the gravestones are gone from the churchyard - those surviving are propped against the back of the church. The western end of the graveyard is now under road.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Norwich St Martin at Palace, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FREG||1537-1599, 1698-1901||1537-1599, 1689-1908||1537-1599, 1697-1862|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- Norwich Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogy
- See also England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Norfolk Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogys
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Cassini Ordnance Survey Map (Incl 1838, 1898-1899, 1922 and present day). www.cassinimaps.com
Websites[edit | edit source]
- History and photographs George Plunkett Website
- St Martin a Palace Plain on Norfolk Churches
- St Martin at Palace on St Martin at Palace Norwich Historic Churches Trust
- 1813 to 1880 Baptism Project Norwich St Martin at Palace (has photos)
References[edit | edit source]
- Barry Pardue, Norwich Streets
- St Martin a Palace Plain, Norfolk Churches
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.