Norwich St Helen, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Helen, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Helen, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1617|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Helen is an Ancient parish in the city and Diocese of Norwich.
It is in the care of the the Norwich Historic Churches trust and continues to provide the church to the centuries old Great Hospital.
St Helen Church is part of the The Great Hospital complex founded by Bishop Walter de Suffield in 1249, ‘in remission of my sins,’ to care for ‘decrepit’ priests. With over 750 years of continuous activity, The Great Hospital is now a charity with a remit to provide housing and care for older Norwich residents with limited means.
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co. town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Helen, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Norwich St Helen, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Parish registers for St. Helen's Church, Norwich Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1969
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1708-1856. FHL BRITISH Film 571603
No Transcript series for this parish survive before 1813
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.