Norwich St Giles, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Giles, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Giles, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Giles is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
There has been a Church on the site since before the Normans came to Norwich, but there is no trace of that building now. St Giles Church as it stands today has its origins in 1386, when a bequest was given to start the building the church. By 1424, the tower was almost finished, and by 1430 the building was complete enough for funerals to take place. The chancel is more modern and was built during the 19th century.
The church is the highest point in the city and the tower is the highest of any church in the city or county. Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co. town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Giles, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Norwich St Giles, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of the parish register are available on FamilySearch
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historic photographs of the church
Norwich Historic Churches Trust http://www.norwich-churches.org/index.asp
http://www.stgiles.churchnorfolk.com/ the church website
References:[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew., John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.