Norwich St George Colegate, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St George Colgate, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St George Colegate, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St George Colegate is an Ancient Parish one of the mediaeval parishes of the city.
As it stands now, the church was built between 1459 (nave), and 1513 (aisles and chapels). The north chapel was built by William Norwich, mayor in 1461, and may well be by the mason John Antell. The nave was glazed in 1514.
OF THE CITY IN THE TIME OF KING GEORGE THE FIRST. George the First was proclaimed King of Great Britain, &c. Aug. 1, 1714, the same day the Queen died; and in this city on the 3d of August, being solemnly crowned on the 20th of Oct. when there were great rejoicings here. In 1715, Dec. 17, Mr. Tho. Hall, late of London, merchant, son of John Hall of Norwich, Esq. lieutenant colonel of the militia regiment, justice of peace, and late mayor, was interred at St. George's of Colgate.
"By the mid-19th century St Georges parish had once again fallen on hard times. The Church wanted local parishioners to pay for the upkeep of the building the so-called tithe but many were non-conformists who resented paying money to the Church of England. A subsequent court case forced them to pay."
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St George Colegate, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St George Colegate, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|PALL||to 1650, 1813-1819|
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Church Graveyards and Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
- St George Colagate on FindAGrave
- A list of grave monuments in St George Colegate Cemetery, Norwich, Norfolk, England on Gravestone Photographic Resource
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online Free BMD
Maps[edit | edit source]
Norwich Maps on George Plunkett website
Mid-evil Churches in the City of Norwich - Map on George Plunkett website
External Links[edit | edit source]
- 60: St George’s Church, Colegate. on EDP24
- St George Colgate Norwich on Norfolk Churches
- Norwich Historic Churches Trust
- Historic Photographs on George Plunkett website
- St George Colegate, Norwich on Britain Express
References:[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,The History of the City and County of Norwich, part I(1806), pp. 436-443. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- 60: St George’s Church, Colegate EDP24, accessed 7 May 2014
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.