Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1665|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1623|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Ethelreda is a round towered Norman church whose bell tower has an octagonal top.
Following the sixteenth century Reformation, the church declined: in 1597 the chancel was described as being "greatly ruinous". By the late nineteenth century the church was dilapidated and all but redundant.
It was thatched until the roof and extensive Victorian remodelling took place in the 1880's but suffered further decline became derelict by the late 1960's and was declared redundant. In the care of the Norwich Historic church Trust it was adapted for use as an artist's studio space with modifications.
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co.town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St Etheldreda, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD4/1-6,8-10,13
Images of the parish register for this parish are available on FamilySearch but appear under Norwich St Etheldred and several waypoints await engineering correction.
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
England Jurisdictions 1851•Vision of Britain
External Links[edit | edit source]
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historic photographs of the church
Norwich Historic Churches Trust http://www.norwich-churches.org/index.asp
References:[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew. John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles 1887.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.