Norwich St Edmund, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Edmund, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Edmund, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1550|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Edmund, Fishergate is an Ancient parish in the city and Diocese of Norwich.
Built in the sixteenth century it underwent Victorian refurbishment before the end of the parish. From 1887 it's parishioners were united with neighboring parish of St Clement as seen in the combined register 1887-1900.
In 1913 the building was surrounded on three sides by a large fatory fire bu unharmed and for decades stood amidst wasteland. It suffered damaged in Second Worl War Bombing Raids on Norwich.
As a result of the 1960's recommendations about redundant churches in the city it now serves as a counseling centre within the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust. It was previously used as a let church by the new Frontiers Church.
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co.town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Edmund, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Norwich St Edmund, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|NTA||1813-1884||1754-1901 (Banns); 1754-1885||1813-1856|
With its closure the parish was incorporated into Norwich St Clement, Norfolk Genealogy
The register for Baptisms 1887-1900 for Norwich St Edmund were included in the microfilming at the Norwich Record Office and the book is titled St Clement with St Edmund. St Edmund at this time had closed and parishioners appear to have attached to St Clements. There is a distinct way point in the Record Search collection for this volume of registers but the entries refer to St Clements until 1887 when St Edmund combines to form a combined register.
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
External Links[edit | edit source]
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historical photographs
Norwich Historic Churches Trust http://www.norwich-churches.org/index.asp
References:[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.