Norwich St Augustine, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Norwich St Augustine, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Norwich St Augustine, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Augustine is an Ancient Parish in the city and Diocese of Norwich.
A medieval church It is probably named for St Augustine of Canterbury, who was sent to England by Gregory the Great in 597, although there is a possibility it may be named for Augustine of Hippo.
The orginal tower collapsed in 1677 and the redbrick tower built on the original base in the 1680's. Parishioners became known as the "Red Steeplers" from the distinct tower in the city.
the rest of the church is built of flint and has undergone internal renovation.
The parish was united with various neighboring ones – St Mary Coslany, St George Colegate – over the years, but was finally united with St Luke, Aylsham Road, before being declared redundant in 1997 and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co. town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac., pop. 87,842; 4 Banks, 9 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Norwich is a city commanding especial interest on account of its ecclesiastical associations.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norwich St Augustine, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Norwich St Augustine, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FREG||1663, 1669-1900||1663, 1668-1900||1663, 1669-1875|
Images of the parish register are available on FamilySearch Historical Records
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Civil Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John Bartholomew,Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Date accessed: 26 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.