Norton, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Norton, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Dudstone and King's Barton|
|County||Gloucestershire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Gloucester|
|Parish registers: 1686|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1569|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NORTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union and E. division of the county of Gloucester,4 miles (N. E. by N.) from the city of Gloucester. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Norton, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|DEAN = Forest of Dean Family History Trust - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Norton, Gloucestershire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
An extraction of the Bishop's Transcripts of this parish are available at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wrag44/norton/norton.htm
Non-conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of will, adminstrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court jurisdiction by parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visiual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 439-441. Date accessed: 31 December 2012.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- 'Transcript Summary,' Forest of Dean Family History Trust, accessed 22 July 2016. The Forest of Dean Family History Trust's 'policy is not to show records within the following cut off years - Baptisms 90 years, Marriages 70 years, Burials 30 years.'
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.