Northfleet, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Northfleet, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Northfleet St Botolph Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||North Aylesford|
|Registration District||North Aylesford|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shorham; Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NORTHFLEET (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, W division of Kent, 1½ mile W from Gravesend, and 20 miles E from London. Nurstead church being close to the village of Northfleet, and Northfleet church five miles distant. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Northfleet is a town in the Borough and district of Gravesham in Kent - Northfleet Wikipedia
Northfleet St Botolph is an Ancient Parish which included the hamlets of Rosherville and Perry Street
The parish church of St Botolph, Church Path, Gravesend has been designated as a grade I listed building - British listed building
The church of All Saints Perry Street Gravesend has been designated as a grade II* listed building - British listed building
The demolished church of Rosherville St Mark (1853-1976) was also formed from this parish - North West Kent Family History Society.
See Edward Hasted, "The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent": Volume 3 (1797), pp. 302-318. Date accessed: 9 September 2013.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
- See Dartford registration District North Aylesford Registration District
- Strood Registration District
- Strood and Hoo Registration District Chatham Registration District
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Northfleet parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Northfleet Online Parish Records|
|FS Canterbury PRs||1538-1986||1538-1986||1538-1986|
|FMP East Kent||1538-1754||1813-1841|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks has indexes available for select parishes. Records are also available at the Kent Archives.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Gillingham Family History Centre, Kent
- Canterbury England Family History Centre
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 423-433. Date accessed: 22 April 2013.