North Walsham, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to North Walsham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|North Walsham, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1541|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WALSHAM, NORTH (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 15 miles (N. N. E.) from Norwich, and 124 (N. E. by N.) from London. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, the Society of Friends, Independents, and Primitive Methodists. 
North Walsham St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Norwich.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Norfolk Record Office reference PD 711
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- 1837-1884 Erpingham
- 1884-1938 Smallburgh
- 1939-1974 North Walsham
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|North Walsham Online Parish Records|
|FamilySearch Parish Registers-Norfolk|
|FamilySearch Bishop's Transcripts-Norfolk|
|FamilySearch Archdeacon's Transcripts-Norfolk|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Norfolk ($)|
|Find My Past Bishop's Transcript-Norfolk ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Early) ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Late) ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Transcriptions) ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Norfolk ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Norfolk ($)
- Norfolk Transcription Archive
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: North Walsham on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 444-449. Date accessed: 30 April 2013.