Newington, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Newington, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Newington St Mary|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1799|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NEWINGTON (St. Mary), or Newington-Butts, a parish, in the E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, 1¾ mile (S.) from London. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
St Mary Newington Workhouse Baptisms 1841-1861 P020041
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Court of the Deanery of the Arches of London, Croydon, and Shoreham probate records are available online at FamilySearch for free.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 25 February 2014.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary, Newington in Southwark Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Newington St Mary in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Newington St Mary in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Newington St Mary in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C055631, C055632, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batch M055631, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- 'Online Parish Register Search,' ParishRegister.com, accessed 12 March 2012.