Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers
|Newfoundland & Labrador Research Topics|
|Newfoundland & Labrador Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1810-1890: Newfoundland, Canada, Index of Birth, Marriage & Death Notices from Newspapers, 1810-1890 at Ancestry ($)
- 1810-1816 - The Royal Gazette and Newfoundland Advertiser at Google News - free.
- Memorial University Digital Archives Initiative - The Daily News 1955-1963
- Memorial University Digital Archives Initiative - TheTwillingate Sun (1880-1953)
- Memorial University Digital Archives Initiative - Le Gaboteur (1984-Present)
Resources for Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Newspaper Directories[edit | edit source]
- Suzanne Ellison. Bibliography of Newfoundland newspapers. St. John’s: Memorial University of Newfoundland Library, 1985.
- Suzanne Ellison. Historical directory of Newfoundland and Labrador newspapers, 1806-1996. St. John’s: Queen Elizabeth II Library (MUN), 1997.
- Historical Directory of Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
The principal repository for newspapers is the Newfoundland and Labrador Collection, which is part of the:
Newfoundland and Labrador Public Libraries
Newfoundland and Labrador Collection
NGB Transcriptions from Various Newspapers For Newfoundlanders
Provincial Resource Library
Arts and Culture Centre
St. John’s, Newfoundland A1B 3A3
The P.A.N.L. and the public library have newspaper collections covering the period from 1810 to the present.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
Newfoundland and Labrador Published Indexes[edit | edit source]
- Mildred Howard. Vital statistics and items from newspapers of Newfoundland, 1831-1872. Mildred Howard, 1983. Includes items published separately in earlier volumes,Vital statistics and items from The Newfoundlander of St. John’s Newfoundland (1980), in two volumes, 1834-1854 and 1854-1870.
- Mildred Howard. Royal Gazette and Newfoundland Advertiser: vital statistics and items. Mildred Howard, 1986-(ongoing?) Published so far, 1810-1845, 1846-1862.
- Gert Crosbie. Births, deaths, marriages in Newfoundland newspapers. St. John’s: Memorial University of Newfound, Maritime History Archive, 1986-(ongoing). Published so far 1825-1850, 1851-1859, 1860-1865, 1866-1870, 1871-1874, 1875-1877, 1878-1880, 1881-1882, 1883-1884, 1885-1886, 1887-1888, 1889-1890.
Newfoundland and Labrador Unpublished Indexes[edit | edit source]
The Public Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador has unpublished extracts from newspapers in Twillingate.
- Extracts of births, marriages and deaths from newspapers in the Conception Bay area of Harbour Grace and Carbonear, circa 1850-1900, a collection at the provincial archives.
There is a newspaper index for the 1840s among E. R. Seary’s papers at the Memorial University of Newfoundland Folklore and Language Archive (MUNFLA).
Related[edit | edit source]
Ffolliott, Rosemary. Some Connecting Links Between Ireland and the New World From Old Newspapers. Article has alphabetical listings of births, marriages and deaths in the Munster (Ireland) Newspapers, covers U.S.A, Canada, West Indies and England. years 1765-1826. Article found in The Irish Ancestor, vol. 2, no. 1 1970, pages 62-69, Family History Library Ref. 95-41.5 B2i.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Taylor, Ryan, "Obtaining Canada Newspaper Resources (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Obtaining_Canada_Newspaper_Resources_%28National_Institute%29.
- de Groot, Susanna, "Canada Historical Newspapers Bibliographies (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Canada_Historical_Newspapers_Bibliographies_%28National_Institute%29.
- Taylor, Ryan, "Canada Newspaper Indexes and Abstracts (National Institute)," The National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Canada_Newspaper_Indexes_and_Abstracts_%28National_Institute%29.