Newfoundland and Labrador Naturalization and Citizenship

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Newfoundland & Labrador Wiki Topics
Canada flag.png
Beginning Research
Record Types
Newfoundland & Labrador Background
Cultural Groups
Local Research Resources

Online Records[edit | edit source]

Writing for Records[edit | edit source]

Requests for searches of naturalization/citizenship indexes and records from 1854 to the present should be signed and mailed to:

  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
    Access to Information and Privacy Division
    Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1

Please note that the following conditions apply:

The application for copies of records should indicate that it is being requested under Access to Information. It must be submitted by a Canadian citizen or an individual residing in Canada. For non-citizens, you can hire a freelance researcher to make the request on your behalf. Fee: $5.00, payable to the Receiver General for Canada. The request must be accompanied by a signed consent from the person concerned or proof that he/she has been deceased 20 years. Proof of death can be a copy of a death record, a newspaper obituary or a photograph of the gravestone showing name and death date.

  • Please note that IRCC requires proof of death regardless of the person’s year of birth.
  • Your request should include the full name, date and place of birth, and if possible, the Canadian citizenship number or naturalization certificate number.
  • Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents can make a request for information under the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act. However, you may ask a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident to submit an Access to Information request on your behalf. Keep in mind that the records will be mailed to the requester within Canada. It is also important to note that we require written consent (signed and dated) or proof of executorship, if the individual whose personal information is being sought has been deceased for less than 20 years.[1]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. "Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Help Centre",, accessed 10 October 2020.