Newfoundland and Labrador Archives and Libraries
|Newfoundland & Labrador Research Topics|
|Newfoundland & Labrador Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Provincial Archives[edit | edit source]
Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (P.A.N.L.)
St. John’s, NF A1C 2C9
Telephone: 709-757-8030 Fax: 709-757-8031
Internet: The Rooms
The major holdings of the archives are listed in: The Union List of Manuscripts in Canadian Repositories. Ottawa: National Archives of Canada, 1975. (FHL book 971 A3cp.) Two inventories of its holdings have also been published: Preliminary Inventory no. 1 (1970) and Preliminary Inventory no. 2 (1972); both are out of print
. • A. C. Hunter Library Arts and Culture Center Allendale Road St. John's, NF A1B 3A3 CANADA Telephone: 709-737-2133 Fax: 709-737-2660 • Centre d'archives de la Capitale 2424 Watt St. Sainte-Foy, PQ G1P 3T3 CANADA Telephone: 418-683-5784 • Centre for Newfoundland Studies Queen Elizabeth II Library Memorial University St. John’s, NF A1B 3Y1 CANADA Telephone: 709-737-7475 or 709-737-7476 • Family History Library 35 N. West Temple Street Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3400 • Folklore and Language Archive Education Bldg., Memorial University St. John's, NF A1C 5S7 CANADA Telephone: 709-737-8401 • Labrador Institute of Northern Studies P.O. Box 309, Station ‘A’ Goose Bay, Labrador A0P lS0 CANADA • Le Centre d'études acadiennes (Center for Acadian Studies) Université de Moncton Moncton, NB E1A 3E9 CANADA Telephone: 506-858-4085 Fax: 506-858-4086 • Legislative Library House of Assembly P.O. Box 8700 St. John's, NLA1B 4J6 CANADA Telephone: 709-729-3604
Maritime History Archive[edit | edit source]
This archives’ holdings relate to fishery, trade and settlement, and therefore will be of great interest to genealogists. Some of their collections were compiled from parish registers. They do not have the records on computer but do specify where there are name indexes to the records. It is a worthwhile site to visit. They have research services but you will need to provide the location of the parish. Visit their website for more detailed information.
Library and Archives Canada[edit | edit source]
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N3
Telephone: 613-996-7458 Fax: 613-995-6274
Newfoundland and Labrador Online Records[edit | edit source]
Public Library Services[edit | edit source]
• Provincial Reference Library Public Library Services 125 Allandale Road, #1 St John’s NF A1B 3R6 CANADA
• Queen’s College Library 214 Prince Philip Drive St. John’s, NF A1B 3R6 CANADA
• Family History Library 35 N. West Temple Street Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3400 USA Most microfilms available at the library can also be distributed to its Family History Centers. A current list of branch libraries in your area can be obtained from the Family History Library. Computer Networks and Bulletin Boards Computers with modems can be useful tools for obtaining information from selected archives and libraries. In a way, computer networks themselves serve as a library. The Internet, certain computer bulletin boards, and commercial on-line services help family history researchers: • Locate other researchers.
• Post queries.
• Send and receive E-mail.
• Search large databases.
• Search computer libraries.
• Join in computer chat and lecture sessions. You can find computerized research tips and information about ancestors from Newfoundland in a variety of sources at local, state, national, and international levels. The list of sources is growing rapidly. Most of the information is available at no cost. Addresses on the Internet change frequently. As of September 1997, the following sites are important gateways linking you to many more network and bulletin board sites:
• Canada GenWeb http://sites.rootsweb.com/~canwgw/ A cooperative effort by many volunteers to list genealogical databases, libraries, bulletin boards, and other resources available on the Internet for each county and province.
• Canadian Genealogy Resources http://genealogy.about.com/hobbies/genealogy/msubcanada.htm Lists county, provincial, and national sources; personal pages; and publications.
• Roots-L https://web.archive.org/web/20160506130602/http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/roots-l/canada.html A useful list of sites and resources. Includes a large, regularly updated research coordination list.
- Newfoundland's Grand Banks Genealogical and Historical Data for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
References[edit | edit source]
- Murphy, Sharon L .For a list of genealogical resources held at the Memorial University Maritime History Archive see https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/genealog.php "Additional Sources for Newfoundland and Labrador Birth, Marriage, and Death Records (National Institute)," National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Additional_Sources_for_Newfoundland_and_Labrador_Birth,_Marriage,_and_Death_Records_%28National_Institute%29.