Newbrough, Northumberland Genealogy
Guide to Newbrough, Northumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Peter' Newbrough Northumberland
|Poor Law Union||Hexham|
|Parish registers: 1695; For more records see Warden|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1769|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Northumberland Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NEWBROUGH, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Hexham.
Newbrough St Peter is a chapelry in Warden, Northumberland Ancient Parish in Northumberland. Wharnley is a hamlet or village in the parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Newbrough parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Newbrough Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Northumberland Archives.
Nonconformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1920 England, Northumberland Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1920 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Stonecroft (Roman Catholic): Records of baptisms 1715-1721 are available at Northumberland Collections Service. The International Genealogical Index (I.G.I.) includes births/baptisms 1715-1832.
- Stonecroft and Hexham (Roman Catholic): Records of baptisms 1722-1821, marriages 1716-1806, deaths 1715-1754.
Transcripts of baptisms 1715-1826, marriages 1716-1752 and deaths 1715-1754 for Stonecroft R.C. are available at Newcastle Central Library, Local Studies Dept.
FamilySearch Historical Records includes England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allegations - FamilySearch Historical Records
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Northumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848). Date accessed: 07 August 2013.
- Searching Parish Records online (Northumberland) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 23 April 2019.
Add any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.