Nevada County Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Nevada County Marriages, 1862-1993
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Nevada|
|Location of Nevada|
|Record Type||Marriage Records|
|Nevada State Museum and Historical Society, Las Vegas|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of images of county marriages for the years 1862 to 1993 from the following counties:
- Carson City,1899-1951
- Clark,1928-1954; index 1909-1951
- Douglas, See FHL Holdings
- Elko,1869-1951; index 1869-1955
- Esmeralda, See FHL Holdings
- Lander,1863-1963; indexes 1863-1993
- Lincoln, See FHL Holdings
- White Pine,1884-1953
This collection does not include marriages from Churchill and Washoe counties. Coverage varies from county to county. Marriages were recorded by the clerk of the district court for each county from the time the county was formed. Persons desiring to marry obtained a license that they presented to the minister or other person authorized to marry, such as a justice of the peace. Once the marriage was performed, the officiator sent a return to the clerk confirming that the marriage had occurred. Civil marriage records were created to legalize marital relationships and to protect the interests of the wife and other heirs to legal claims on property.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Nevada County Marriages, 1862-1993.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Groom's name, age, race and birth place
- Bride's name, age, race and birth place
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom's place of residence
- Bride's place of residence
- Names of parents
- Name of officiator at marriage ceremony
- Names of witnesses
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The date of the marriage
- The place where the marriage occurred
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Year Range, Volume Number/Letter to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Nevada County Marriages, 1862-1993. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for birth and death records
- Search for the family in census records
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Search for church records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Nevada.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Nevada vital statistics, marriages by name index, 1968-1991
- Carson City. Marriages, 1899-1951
- Clark Co. Marriages, 1928-1954; index 1909-1951
- Douglas Co. Affidavit of application for marriage licenses, 1919-1949
- Douglas Co. Marriage records, 1862-1872, 1887-1951
- Elko Co. Marriage records, 1869-1951; index 1869-1955
- Esmeralda Co. Marriage licenses, 1871-1992
- Eureka Co. Marriage records, 1870-1975
- Humboldt Co. Marriage records, 1862-1951
- Humboldt Co. Affidavits for marriage licenses, 1881-1950
- Lander Co. Marriage records, 1863-1963; indexes 1863-1993
- Lincoln Co. Marriage licenses and applications for license to marry, 1871-1977
- Lyon Co. Marriage records, 1861-1960
- Mineral Co. Marriage license applications, 1911-1952
- Mineral Co. Marriage records, 1911-1958
- Nye Co. Marriages, 1887-1957
- Pershing Co. Affidavits of application for marriage license, 1919-1951
- Pershing Co. Marriage records, 1919-1959
- Storey Co. Recorded marriage certificates, 1862-1952
- Storey Co. Marriage license applications and affidavits, 1874-1950
- White Pine Co. Marriage license stubs, 1885-1950
- White Pine Co. Marriage records, 1884-1953
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.