Nebraska Naturalization and Citizenship
|Nebraska Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1795-1925 - United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1855-1989 - Nebraska, Naturalization Records, 1855-1989 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Nebraska, Federal Naturalization Records, 1890-1957, index and images, ($)
- United States Index to Naturalizations of World War I Soldiers, 1918 at FamilySearch — index
Availability[edit | edit source]
You can obtain Nebraska naturalization papers by writing to the clerk of the district court for the county in which your ancestor was naturalized. In some cases, the county has retained microfilm copies and sent the originals to the Nebraska State Historical Society.
WPA Index[edit | edit source]
The Omaha office of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS), has a Works Projects Administration (WPA) index to pre-1906 naturalizations for all Nebraska counties and 63 Iowa counties. This index is on microfilm at the Nebraska State Historical Society. They also have a WPA index to district court naturalizations of Lincoln, Otoe, York, and Platte counties from the time of county formation to about 1940. The Family History Library does not have copies of these indexes. The Family History Library has some naturalization records from the county and United States District and Circuit courts.
Naturalization information can also be found in the land entry file of an immigrant who homesteaded or purchased land from the federal government. These records give the name of the immigrant, the court, the date of naturalization or declaration of intention, and the country of previous allegiance.
Post-1906 Records[edit | edit source]
In 1906 the Immigration and Naturalization Service (now United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) was created, forms were standardized, and duplicate copies of naturalization records were sent to the INS. You can access these records through the Genealogy Program at www.uscis.gov.
Online Index[edit | edit source]
- 1932-1980 [www.archives.gov/kansas-city/finding-aids/lincoln-naturalization.html Name Index to Naturalization Petitions, ca. 1932-1980] - District of Nebraska, Lincoln, Record Group 21
To obtain a copy of a record you find in the index, contact: National Archives—Central Plains Region - Kansas City.