|Nebraska Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- US City Directories, Nebraska, index by county
- U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 for Nebraska ($)
- Nebraska City/County Directories, Nebraska State Historical Society, index.
History[edit | edit source]
Several types of directories have been published in the United States over the last two hundred years including: city directories, telephone directories, county and regional business directories, professional, organizational, and religious directories, post office directories, and street directories. Directories have tremendous value to genealogists as both an original record and as a reference aid.
Resources for Nebraska Directories[edit | edit source]
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
Statewide directories for Nebraska were published periodically from 1882 to 1917. The 1886 directory was the first to list farmers in addition to businesses. It was compiled from the agricultural schedule of the 1885 census, and thus it is a partial index to that census (see the Census article). The directories have been microfilmed and are available for purchase from the Nebraska State Historical Society.
The Nebraska Historical Society has one of the finest collections of Nebraska directories in the state. The Nebraska State Genealogical Society's book library housed at the Beatrice Public Library has a great collection of Nebraska and Kansas directories.
Directories Online[edit | edit source]
- Ancestry.com ($) has Nebraska directories in their U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 collection. The following cities are currently included: Beatrice, Columbus, Fremont, Hastings, Kearney, Lexington, Lincoln, Norfolk, North Platte, Omaha, Scotts Bluff, and York.
- Distant Cousin.com has a 1914 Omaha, Nebraksa city directory.
- US City Directories identifies printed, microfilmed, and online directories and their repositories.
The Family History Library[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has city directories for various years from throughout the state of Nebraska including:
|1959, 1966, 1986, 1990||FHL Book 978.2286/B1 E4p|
|1941-1990||FHL Book 978.2254/O1 E4p|
|1895-1900||FHL Film 1000697-1000698|
- 1878. Wolfe, J.M. Wolfe's Mercantile Guide, Gazetteer and Busines Directory of Cities, Towns, Villages, Stations, and Government Forts, Located upon the Lines of the Following Named Railroads: Union Pacific, Ohamha & Northwestern, Sioux City & Pacific, Omaha & Republican Valley, Colorado Central, Utah Northern, Utah Central, Utah Western, Utah Southern, Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd, Wahsath & Jordan Valley, and American Fork Railroad and towns in the Blackhills. Omaha, Nebraska: Omaha Republican Book and Job Printing, 1878. FHL film 1004514 item 3.
To find directories, consult the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- NEBRASKA, [COUNTY] — DIRECTORIES
- NEBRASKA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] — DIRECTORIES
Websites[edit | edit source]