Moulsham, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Moulsham, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Moulsham St John the Evangelist Essex
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Chelmsford|
|Parish registers: 1837|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1849|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Moulsham, is a hamlet, in the parish, union, and hundred of Chelmsford, S division of Essex, ¾ of a mile SW from Chelmsford.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Moulsham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Moulsham Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Irvingite/Catholic Apostolic Church
- Roman Catholic
- Strict Baptist
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Moulsham on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., Topographical Dictionary of England(1848) Adapted: date accessed 19 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 11 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.