|Montana Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Onlinne Resources[edit | edit source]
- 1899 Index for the 1899 "Society of Montana Pioneers" Volume 1
- Montana, History and Biography, ($), index
- Montana, its story and biography : a history of aboriginal and territorial Montana and three decades of statehood, ($), index
- Montana: the land and the people, ($), index
- County Histories of Montana.
- The Montana blue book, e-book
Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as a person’s birth date and place; names of family members, including maiden names; education; occupation; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description of the person, previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research about early settlers and prominent citizens of a state, county, or town. Local histories may contain biographical sketches of lesser-known people.
Biographies in Local Histories[edit | edit source]
- Biographical information is often found in state, county, and town histories.
- Towards the end of the 19th century, began publishers soliciting short biographical/family histories from local founding families, offering to publish them in an upcoming local history. This then became an incentive for family members to buy a copy of the book.
- Families represented were not necessarily prominent. Practically everyone living there, especially in the Midwest, counted as an early settler.
- These biographies often start with the first member of the family to settle in the area, and detail their descendants at the time of publishing. They may tell where the family moved in from. Children's marriages often are given, with maiden names included.
Finding Biographies[edit | edit source]
- The county Wiki page lists several county histories. It also lists local libraries, and societies which probably have copies of local histories.
- Many histories are no longer under copyright and can be found in the following online, digitized book collections. Search with keywords "History" and "the name of your locality" (state, county, or town).
- The FamilySearch library has extensive collections of these local histories. Many are digitized. Search the FamilySearch Catalog under your locality for the topics "Biography" and "History".
The Montana Historical Society has an extensive collection of biographical materials. There is no statewide biographical index or major manuscript collection. You may find information in the biographical sections of state, regional, and county histories.
Biographical Encyclopedias[edit | edit source]
Representative biographical encyclopedias for Montana are:
- Progressive Men of the State of Montana. Chicago, Illinois: A. W. Bowen and Company, 1901. FHL book 978.6 D3p; FHL film 1000176. Digtial version at: Internet Archive
- Stout, Tom. Montana, Its Story and Biography. . . . Three Volumes. Chicago, Illinois: American Historical Society, 1921. FHL book 978.6 H2s; FHL film 1000175. An every-name index is available on FHL film 1320700 item 3. Digital version at Internet Archive: (Vol. 1), (Vol. 2), (Vol. 3)
- Note: Volumes 2 and 3 contain biographical sketches.
- Sanders, James U. Society of Montana Pioneers: Constitution, Members and Officers, with Portraits and Maps. Volume 1. Akron, Ohio: Society of Montana Pioneers, 1899. FHL book 978.6 C4p; FHL film 1000177 item 3. Digital version at: Ancestry ($).
- Note: Contains brief biographies of settlers who arrived in Montana before the territory was established in 1864.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Further Reading[edit | edit source]
See the United States Biographies page for information on nationwide biographical collections. See also the Montana "History" and "Genealogy" sections for additional sources. You may wish to explore biography, history and genealogy sections in the wiki at county levels also.
Biographies can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected biographies and local or county histories with biographical sketches on residents. Additional resources for Montana biographies may be found in the Montana-Biography topic page of the FamilySearch Catalog .