Montana, Yellowstone Genealogy Forum, Yellowstone County Obituaries - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Yellowstone, Montana, |
|Flag of Montana|
|Location of Yellowstone County, Montana|
|Location of Montana|
|Record Type||Newspaper obituaries|
|Yellowstone Genealogy Forum|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Yellowstone County obituaries for years 1955-1969 clipped from the Billings Gazette and provided to FamilySearch by the Yellowstone Genealogy Forum Montana.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name and age of deceased
- Date and place of death
- Occupation and residence
- Names of surviving family members
- Cause of death
- Date, place and time of funeral services or burial
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
- Image File Name
- Image File Name
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
View the Images[edit | edit source]You will be able to view the images in this collection when it is published.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for the death certificate
- If a birth date was provided in the obituary, search for a birth record
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members
- Use the information found in the obituary to search for family members in census, vital, probate, and land records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Montana.
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Obituaries from Billings Gazette Newspaper, 1963, 1981-2001
- Cemetery Records of Yellowstone County, Montana
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.