Montana, Yellowstone County Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Montana, Yellowstone County Records, 1881-2011
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Yellowstone, Montana, |
|Flag of Montana|
|Location of Yellowstone County, Montana|
|Location of Montana|
|Record Type||County Records|
|County Clerk. County Courthouse, Billings, Montana|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection includes images of vital records, probate records, deeds, and discharge records from the county courthouse in Billings. The records are for the years 1881 to 2011.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Montana, Yellowstone County Records, 1881-2011.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Names of parents
- Biographical information about parents such as date and place of birth
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of property or land
- Military information such as company, rank, and enlistment date
- Farm information such as number and value of acres and details of crops raised
- Statistical information about members of the household
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
|Record Type||Record and Years|
|Court||Index to Judgements 1905-1925|
|Court||judgement docket 1926-1960|
|Land||Deed Book 1883-1908|
|Land||Deed index grantee 1881-1948|
|Land||Deed index grantor 1881-1948|
|Land||Miscellaneous index grantee and grantor 1881-1931|
|Miscellaneous||Miscellaneous records 1883-1939|
|Probate||Orders and decrees 1896-1938|
|Probate||Probate Index 1897-1995|
|Vitals||Marriage licenses 1951-1959|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date the event occurred
- The type of event
- The names of family members and their relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page':
- Select the Record Category
- Select the Record Type, Volume, and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage, and death
- Use the information found to search for the family in census records
- Search the county for church, land, and probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Montana.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Yellowstone County, District Court, 13th Judicial District, Judgement Dockets, 1905-1960
- Yellowstone County, District Court, 13th Judicial District, orders and decrees, 1896-1938
- Yellowstone County, deed records, 1883-1940
- Yellowstone County, marriage records, 1952-1959
- Yellowstone County, miscellaneous records, 1883-1939
- Yellowstone County, District Court, 13th Judicial District, probate records, 1897-1995
- Yellowstone County, District Court, 13th Judicial District, wills, 1891-1940
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.