Mississippi Enumeration of Educable Children - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Mississippi Enumeration of Educable Children, 1850-1892, 1908-1957
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Mississippi|
|Location of Mississippi|
|Record Type||School Records|
|Mississippi Department of Archives and History|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes lists of children compiled by Mississippi counties and school districts for the years 1850-1892, 1908 to 1957.
School records can be a viable substitute for birth records. These include the names of both black and white students. The early records include the names of students and the school attended. More recent records include the age of the child and a parent or guardian's name.
The listing of school-aged children in Mississippi dates back to 1850, though some counties took another 100 years to adopt the practice. In some areas the records are referred to as school censuses. The records are usually compiled on a yearly basis.
School records helped local governments determine funding needs for individual schools.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Mississippi Enumeration of Educable Children, 1850-1892, 1908-1957.|
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- County, town, and school district of enumeration
- School Status (regularly attending, enrolled, or withdrawn from school)
- Parents' names
- Name of child
- Month of birth
- School and ward
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The place of residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Year to view the images.
|More images are available in the Family Search Catalog at Mississippi Enumeration of Educable Children, 1850-1892; 1908-1957. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for vital records such as birth, marriage, and death
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for church, land, and probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Mississippi.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Mississippi enumeration of educable children, 1850-1892; 1908-1957
- Amite Co. list of educable children, 1851-1939
- Carroll Co. Educable children school records, 1894-1927
- Claiborne Co. Enumeration of educable children, 1912
- Covington Co. School board records, 1906-1927
- Franklin Co. School records, 1885-1935
- Hancock Co. Enumeration of educable children, 1885, 1894, 1900, 1902, 1906, 1908, 1916, 1920, 1923, 1924, 1885-1924
- Harrison Co. Enumeration of educable children, 1885, 1890, 1892, 1896, 1900, 1902, 1920, 1923, 1924, 1927, 1885-1927
- Holmes Co. Educable children, 1896-1920
- Jackson Co. School records, indexes, 1874-1930
- Jasper Co. Enumeration of educable children, 1907-1927
- Jefferson Co. School records, 1908-1933
- Kemper Co. Enumeration of Educable Children, 1890-1923
- Lawrence Co. School records, 1885-1953
- Leake Co. Educable children, 1885-1927
- Neshoba Co. School records, 1908-1935
- Newton Co. Board of education records, 1890-1928
- Oktibbeha Co. Educable children for 1885
- Pike Co. School records, 1890-1929
- Pike Co. Educable children, 1916-1929
- Scott Co. School records, 1896-1937
- Simpson Co. School records, 1902-1935
- Smith Co. School records, 1908-1935
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.