Minnesota, United States Genealogy
Guide to Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Minnesota Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Minnesota Information[edit | edit source]
Minnesota became the thirty-second state admitted to the Union on May 11, 1858. Minnesota was created from Minnesota Territory and is located in the Midwestern region of the United States. The State Capital of Minnesota is Saint Paul. There are 87 counties in the U.S. state of Minnesota. 
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Minnesota Research
Links to articles on getting started with Minnesota research.
Minnesota Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Minnesota research.
Minnesota Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties[edit | edit source]
- Big Stone
- Blue Earth
- Crow Wing
- Lac Qui Parle
- Lake of the Woods
- Le Sueur
- Mille Lacs
- Otter Tail
- Red Lake
- St. Louis
- Yellow Medicine
Extinct or Renamed Counties: Andy Johnson | Big Sioux | Breckenridge | Buchanan | Davis | Doty | Mahkahta | Manomin | Midway | Monongalia | Newton | Pembina | Pierce | St. Croix (WI) | Superior | Toombs | Wahnata
Minnesota Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- Cyndi's List - Minnesota genealogy sites on the internet
- Minnesota Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Minnesota
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Minnesota
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Minnesota genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Minnesota
- Minnesota Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Minnesota " in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.
- St. Croix County covered much of north eastern Minnesota in 1840 and is now an existing county in western Wisconsin. See St. Croix County