Minnesota Bible Records
|Minnesota Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- The Family Bible Index - over 300,000 entries
- The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) has an index of over 40,000 digitized family Bible records and each day more records are digitized and added to the Index.
- Index to Early Bible Records provides a free index to over 17,000 online and offline pre-1830 Bible records.
- USGenWeb Archives
- Many periodicals publish family data from Bible records. These are referenced in the "Families" section of the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI),
Minnesota Bible Records[edit | edit source]
A family Bible is a designation given to a Bible which has family information recorded on pages within the book. This has been a tradition among many families and is a good source of information about immediate family members and relatives, including names of parents, children, their spouses as well as their dates of birth, marriage and death. This is a valuable resource because, if the information is recorded as the event occurs, the information is regarded as being reliable. Also, for some families, Bible records may have the only recorded vital statistics information. Generally, family Bibles are passed down to succeeding generations, but those that are no longer in possession of the family may be at a historical or genealogical society.
Many families have traditionally recorded births, marriages, and deaths in a family Bible, family record book, or book of remembrance. Family Bibles that are no longer in the possession of the family may be at a historical or genealogical society. They are sometimes transcribed and published in genealogical periodicals.
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) collection contains some Minnesota Bible records (see the "Minnesota Genealogy" article) and is partially indexed in:
- Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States: 45,000 References as Taken from the Microfilm at the Genealogical Society of Utah. Volume 2. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984. (Family History Library book 973 D22kk v.2; microfiche 6089184.)Other Libraries (WorldCat)
Family History Library Collections[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Library (FHL)has several collections of family Bible records for Illinois including the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and county collections. These records can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog at www.familysearch.org using a Place Search under:
- Minnesota - BIBLE RECORDS
- Minnesota,[name of County] - BIBLE RECORDS