Midsomer Norton, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Midsomer Norton, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Midsomer Norton, Somerset|
|County||Somerset, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Clutton|
|Parish registers: 1697|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1579|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MIDSOMER-NORTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands in a valley between two branches of the rivulet Somer, 2 miles W of Radstock railway station, and 10 SW of Bath. The parish contains also the hamlets of Clapton, Downside, Welton, and Clandown. There are Wesleyan chapels in M. N. village, Downside, Clapton, and Clandown; a Primitive Methodist chapel in Clandown; a Roman Catholic college, with attached chapel, in Downside.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Midsomer Norton, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|MIDSOMER NORTON PARISH Online Records|
|FREG||1616-1639, 1697-1913||1616-1639, 1701-1908||1616-1639, 1700-1908|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Date accessed and adapted: 24 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 February 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.
Contributor: add any additional relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.