Michigan Church History
|Michigan Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Catholic History[edit | edit source]
For information concerning Catholic records, see:
- Inventory of the Church Archives of Michigan, The Roman Catholic Church, Archdiocese of Detroit. Detroit, Michigan: Michigan Historical Records Survey, 1941. FHL film 962282 item 1; fiche 6051290; book 977.4 K2hca
- The Diocese of Detroit : a paper read at the annual meeting of the Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society, June 8, 1886 / by the Rev. Frank A. O'Brien.
- Seasons of faith : a walk through the history of the Roman Catholic diocese of Marquette 1900-2000 / by Angela S. Johnson.
- Living in joyful hope : a history of the Diocese of Lansing / George C. Michalek.
- The Diocese of Marquette : convocation of priests.
- These very stones cry out : stories on the history of the Diocese of Gaylord / Patrick T. Cawley, editor.
- Diocese of Gaylord celebrates 25 years.
- The Diocese of Marquette : fully alive in '95!
- Golden jubilee : Diocese of Lansing, parish historical sketches / George C. Michalek.
- Festival of faith : celebrating 50 years of faithful service in the Diocese of Lansing, 1937-1987.
- Diocese of Lansing, 1937-1962.
- Parish listings of the Diocese of Gaylord.
- Directory for the Diocese of Grand Rapids.
- Archdiocese of Detroit by Roman Godzak.
Timeline of Lansing, MI Church's[edit | edit source]
1836 – Biddle City plotted by brothers Jerry & William Ford, located south of the Grand
and Red Cedar Rivers. It consisted of 48 full blocks and 17 fractional ones.
While lots were sold the plat was abandoned and the “city” ceased to exist.
1845 – First Methodist sermon preached at the log house of Joab Page.
1847 - Town of Michigan, Michigan established as the new state capital.
Catholic Church - The Mass was celebrated for the first time in the log
home of Thomas and Eleanora Saier. Saiers later donated land on
Chestnut Street for a church to be built which was begun in 1856.
1848 – Name changes to Lansing. The Methodists and Presbyterians held services in the
School House, the former holding service in the morning and the later in the
afternoon. 1848-50 Methodist services were held in the Representation Hall.
by 1849-11 churches existed:
1. First Methodist Church, Wall St., Rev. D.D. Gillett, pastor, (METHODIST)
2. Presbyterian Church, Washington Ave., Rev. C.S. Armstrong, pastor (PRESBYTERIAN)
3. Episcopalian Church, Washington Ave., Rev. H. B. Burges, rector (EPISCOPAL)
4. Free Will Baptist Church, Kalamazoo St., Rev. L. B. Potter, pastor (BAPTIST)
5. Second Methodist Church, Washington Ave., Rev. D.D. Gillett, pastor, (METHODIST)
6. Baptist Church, Capitol Ave., Rev. Charles Johnson, pastor (BAPTIST)
7. United Brethern in Christ’s Church, Capitol Ave. (BRETHERN)
8. Universalist Church, Grand St., (UNIVERSALIST)
9. Romas Catholic Church, erecting midtown) (ROMAN CATHOLIC)
10. German Lutheran Church, Filborn St., Rev. A. Buerkle, pastor (LUTHERAN)
11. German Methodist Church, Saginaw St., Rev. Adolph Hoffman, pastor (METHODIST)
1850 - June 1, - Lot 6, Block 96 on which the present church now stands was deeded to
the First M.E. Church and subsequently to the Central M.E. Church.
1859 – First Baptist Church dedicated, corner of Washington Ave. & Ionia St. Prior to
construction services held at Franklin Street Tavern
1862 - The Central Methodist Episcopal Church was erected.
1863 - Universalist Church dedicated, corner of Grand & Allegan.
1887 – First Presbyterian Church, corner of Allegan and Capitol Ave.
1894 - First Baptist Church, new construction
1904 - A new temporary Catholic Church and hall were built in 1904 on
1911- Construction begun on Immaculate Conception of St. Mary’s on Seymour St.
1922 – Church of the Resurrection opened. (CATHOLIC)
1939 – St. Mary’s became the cathedral of the Lansing Diocese.