Michigan, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Michigan, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1876-1945
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Michigan|
|Location of Michigan|
|Record Type||Military Veteran Membership Records|
|Michigan State Archives, Lansing|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of an index of membership records of the Michigan Department Grand Army of the Republic. An organization of Union army and navy veterans of the Civil War. The collection consists of registers, lists and descriptive books of local post (chapters) from 1876 to -1945 and was acquired from the State Archives of Michigan.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The records may contain the following information:
- Member's name
- Enlistment date
- Discharge date
- Organization served in
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the soldier
- Other identifying information such as birthplace or organization where he or she served
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the name, enlistment date and organization to find the soldier’s military records
- Use the name and residence to find the soldier’s family in census, church, and land records
- Continue to search the records to identify other relatives who may have served in the same unit or a nearby unit
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Search the records of nearby military units
- You may need to compare the information of more than one family or person to make this determination.
- If you are unable to find your ancestor look for variant spellings of the surnames. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Michigan.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Grand Army of the Republic. Department of Michigan. Records of posts and index, 1876-1945
- Grand Army of the Republic. Department of Michigan. Records accumulated by department secretary
- Grand Army of the Republic. Department of Republic. Cemetery index 1800's-1900's
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890
- United States General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
- Civil War Soldiers Index
- Michigan, Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), Cemetery Index, 1799-1999
- United States Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards, 1907-1933
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- Finding aid for the records of Michigan Department of the Grand Army of the Republic 1861-1957
- Annual Encampment Department of Michigan Grand Army of the Republic 1917
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.