Mesa County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to Mesa County, Colorado ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Social Security Records
- 2.27 Tax Records
- 2.28 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Early birth and death records are stored in the courthouse.
County Health Department
510 29 1/2 Road
Grand Junction, Colorado 81504
County Health Department has birth, death and burial records; 1885 census taken
Mesa County, Colorado Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Biographies[edit | edit source]
Business, Commerce, and Occupations[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
In 1860, present-day Colorado was enumerated in the Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Utah Territories. Colorado Territory was created in 1861 and was enumerated as such in the 1870 Census. A state census was taken in 1885 for Colorado. See links listed below.
State and Territory Census Records[edit | edit source]
- 1860 - United States Census, 1860 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Colorado was included in the 1860 Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Utah Territories Censuses - How to Use this Collection
- 1870 - United States Census, 1870 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Colorado Territory Census - How to Use this Collection
- 1885 - Colorado State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch - Index and images
- 1885 - Colorado State Census, 1885 at Ancestry - ($), Index and images
Federal Census Records[edit | edit source]
- 1860-1940 Colorado Census Records from 1860 to 1940 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Online Church Records
- 1692-1942 - Colorado, Church Records, 1692-1942 at FamilySearch — index - How to Use this Collection
- 1743-1970 - U.S., Presbyterian Records, 1743-1970 at Ancestry — ($); Index and images; Dates vary for each county
Ward and Branch Records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Grand Junction
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court Records[edit | edit source]
An Index of many Court related cases (marriage, divorce, judgements, liens, etc.) are accessible on the Mesa County, Colorado home page. Through their Online Services: Record --Recorded Documents page. This is not by all means an inclusive list and Mesa County reminds users, "The Mesa County Recorder Office presents the information on this web site as a service to the public. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, no person or entity, including Mesa County, the Clerk or her staff, shall have any responsibility for any inaccuracies or omissions in the data at this site or at other sites to which we link. Use of this site is an acknowledgement of this disclaimer. The official records of the County are located in the Office."
Non-county residents do not have access to all the functions of the website.
There is also a direct link to the search page .
Numerous records are available at Colorado Archives. To use this link scroll down the page to where it asks for Record Type. Click there and scroll down the list to the records you want and select. The next field asks for county. Select the county you want and then click on Search. You can narrow the search by adding the additional information it asks for.
Directories[edit | edit source]
- 1902-1994 - U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 at Ancestry - ($), Index and images, Grand Junction City Directories, various dates
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Genealogies[edit | edit source]
Guardianship[edit | edit source]
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Mesa County Clerk and Recorder: Website
200 S. Spruce Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501
- (970) 244-1800
- 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Monday - Friday
- (Except holidaysLand and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Online Land Records
- Colorado DPA Land Records - Index only; Choose Record Type, and search either "Land Patents" or "Land Records."
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796-1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863-1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
- 1862-1908 - Denver Land Office Records, 1862-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index only
For more information see Colorado Land and Property
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Online County Histories
- Gateway/Unaweep Canyon at some point in time : a History of the Gateway and the Unaweep Canyon Areas. c2000. Compiled and edited by Jean Moores and James E. Massey. Decorah, Iowa : Anundsen. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Route 1 Mack, Colorado : a History of the Communities of Mack and New Liberty. c1997. By Homer C. Likes and Phyllis C. Maluy Likes. Orem, Utah : Likes Pub. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Colorado - shows boundary changes for Colorado Counties
- Colorado Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
Migration[edit | edit source]
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Online Collections[edit | edit source]
- Colorado State Archives Veterans Grave Registration Index at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Military - Grave
- Colorado Civil War Casualties Index at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Civil War Casualty
- 1861-1865 - Colorado State Archives Volunteers Transcript of Record Index (1861-1865) at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Transcript of Record
Spanish-American War (1898)
- 1898 - Colorado Volunteers in the Spanish American War, 1898 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Span-Am War Soldiers
World War I
- 1916-1919 - Colorado State Archives Denver War Risk Insurance Applicants, 1916-1919 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, War Risk Insurance
- 1917-1922 - Colorado State Archives World War I Civilian Service Questionnaires, 1917-1922 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, WWI Questionnaire
- 1917-1918 - Colorado Soldiers in WWI, 1917-1918 at Ancestry.com — ($), index
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Colorado, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images - How to Use this Collection
- 1966 & 1968 - Colorado State Archives Vietnam War Casualties - June-December 1966 & January-December 1968 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Vietnam Deaths
For further information see Colorado Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1868-1990 - Colorado, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1868-1990 at Ancestry ($); Index and images
- 1876-1990 - Colorado Naturalization Records, 1876-1990 at FamilySearch — index and images; District Court records - How to Use this Collection
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
For more information, see Colorado Newspapers.
Colorado Newspapers Online
- Colorado Online Historical Newspapers online - in the Colorado Historic Newspaper Collection by the Colorado State Library
- Colorado Newspapers at Ancestry.com - ($)
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Colorado newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Colorado Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspapers
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Obituaries printed in the Daily Sentinel can be found on the Mesa County Libraries website. Older obituaries have only the Name, Date published in the Sentinel.
Other Records[edit | edit source]
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
- 1875–1974 Colorado Wills and Probate Records 1875-1974 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1883-1900 Colorado State Archives has put the Mesa County Probate Index for the years 1883-1900 online.
School Records[edit | edit source]
Mesa County School records are held in the Loyd Files Research Library, located in the Museum of the West, 462 Ute (second floor, 5th and Ute) Grand Junction, CO 81501
Social Security Records[edit | edit source]
- 1935-2014 United States Social Security Death Index at FamilySearch - How to use this collection; index. Also at Ancestry, findmypast, Fold3, GenealogyBank, MyHeritage, and Steve Morse. Click here for more information.
- 1936-2007 U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 at Ancestry ($) — index, click here for more information.
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Colorado State Archives has put the Mesa County Inheritance Tax Records Index for the years 1920-1934 on-line.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
Birth[edit | edit source]
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1784-2007 - Colorado, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1809-2011 - Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011 - Index, incomplete, list of counties included
- 1853-2006 - Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org - Index and images - How to Use this Collection
- 1859-1900 - Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com - ($); Index only
- 1862-2006 - Colorado, County Marriages and State Indexes, 1862-2006 at Ancestry ($), Index and images
- 1863-2018 - Colorado, Select County Marriages, 1863-2018 at Ancestry.com - index and images, ($)
- 1864-1995 - Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 at FamilySearch - Index and images - How to Use this Collection
- 1900-1939 - Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com - ($); Browseable images of original index
- 1975 - 2004 Colorado, Marriages, 1975 - 2004 at MyHeritage - index and images ($)
Death[edit | edit source]
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
Divorce[edit | edit source]
- 1878 - 2004 Colorado, Divorces, 1878 - 2004 at MyHeritage - index ($)
- 1900-1939 - Colorado Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 at FamilySearch - Browseable images of original index - How to Use this Collection
Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
Listed below are archives in Mesa County. For state-wide archival repositories, see Colorado Archives and Libraries.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Mesa County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
1880-1939 Divorce Index
1883-1900 Mine Accidents, Non - fatal
1936-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments
1966-1968 Vietnam Deaths
1883-1910 Mesa County Probate
1885-1887 Mesa County Persons Subject to Military
1887 Mesa County Persons Exempt from Military
1913-1917 Mesa County Motor Vehicle Licenses
1920-1934 Mesa County Inheritance Tax
1934-1942 Mesa County CCC Enrollments
1950-1970 Mesa County Divorce Cases
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Libraries[edit | edit source]
Listed below are libraries in Mesa County. For state-wide library facilities, see Colorado Archives and Libraries.
Mesa County Public Library District
530 Grand Ave
Grand Junction, CO 81502
Museums[edit | edit source]
Museums of Western Colorado
Societies[edit | edit source]
Listed below are societies in Mesa County. For state-wide genealogical societies, see Colorado Societies.
Mesa County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1506
Grand Junction, Colorado 81502-1506
Websites[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- Mesa County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mesa, Colorado," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_County,_Colorado 7/03/2017.
- Genealogy Trails History Group, "Mesa, Colorado Genealogy and History", http://genealogytrails.com/colo/mesa/ 7/03/2017.
- The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 93.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mesa County, Colorado. Page 100 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mesa County, Colorado. Page 100 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 93.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mesa County, Colorado," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_County%2C_Colorado, accessed 16 May 2017.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 51-54; Alice Eichholz, ‘’Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources,’’ 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 2004), 86. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 54.
- Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov