|Massachusetts Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online resources[edit | edit source]
- Massachusetts Newspapers, 1704-1974 at MyHeritage, index/images ($)
- U.S., Newspaper Extractions from the Northeast, 1704-1930, index/images ($)
- Massachusetts Online Historical Newspapers
- Newspaper Archive ($)
- Online Massachusetts Newspapers
- Massachusetts Newspapers Online
- World Vital Records Newspaper Archive Collection in Massachusetts ($)
- Massachusetts Newspaper Archives (1690 - 1992) Genealogy Bank
- Massachusetts Online Historical Newspapers Summary, Ancestor Hunt, index/images
- Massachusetts Newspapers, by county and town
- Hairenik. Text in Armenian and English. Established 1 May 1899 in New York then moved to Massachusetts in 1900.
- 1905-2007 The Boston Jewish Advocate Wedding Announcements, 1905-2007 at Ancestry - index ($)
- 1800s-1999 U.S., Newspapers.com Marriage Index, 1800s-1999 at Ancestry - index ($)
History[edit | edit source]
Resources for Massachusetts Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
Newspaper Directory[edit | edit source]
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online[edit | edit source]
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of Massachusetts newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries under the name AccessNewspaperArchive.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
A statewide index of newspaper items is: American Antiquarian Society. Index of Marriages in Massachusetts Centinel and Columbian Centinel, 1784 to 1840. Boston, Massachusetts: G.K. Hall and Co., 1961. FHL book 974.4 V22i. To locate additional indexes see: A Guide to Newspaper Indexes in New England. New England Library Association Bibliography Committee, 1978. FHL book 974 B32n and FHL fiche 6051391. (Worldcat)
The Boston Evening Transcript's genealogical column carried valuable information from 1895 to 1963. The Family History Library has: Boston Evening Transcript Genealogical Columns, 1895, May 1900–April 1941. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1955. FHL films 014735–44. Boston Transcript Genealogy Newspaper Columns, June 6, 1896–April 30, 1941. [Middletown, Connecticut: Godfrey Memorial Library, 197–?]. FHL fiche 6011001–6011680.) For two helpful indexes to the columns, see: *The Godfrey Memorial Library, Middletown, Connecticut, has published an index in American Genealogical–Biographical Index, where most names can be found (see the "Genealogy" section).
The Boston Public Library has indexes for 1901– 1935: Boston Public Library
700 Boylston St.
Boston MA 02116
Phone: (617) 536–5400
Punch, Terrence M. Irish Ancestors in the "Lost and Found" of the Boston Pilot, Jan-April 1846.This list is of folk looking for their Irish forbears, that have gone to USA or Canda, and gives the name of the person sought, where from in Ireland, place last known at, and name of person or relation seeking them. Article in The Irish Ancestor vo.IX.no.2.1977, pages 79-84, FHL book 941.5 B2, vol.9
Websites[edit | edit source]