Maryport, Cumberland Genealogy
Guide to Maryport, Cumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Allerdale below Derwent|
|County||Cumberland, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Cockermouth|
|Parish registers: 1761|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1761|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cumberland Record Office|
Chapelry History[edit | edit source]
MARYPORT, a chapelry, market-town, and seaport, in the parish of Cross-Cannonby, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 30 miles (S. W. by W.) from Carlisle. There are places of worship for Baptists, Burghers, the Society of Friends, Presbyterians, and Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Maryport parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Maryport Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- Church of Scotland/Scottish Presbyterian
- Particular Baptist- High Street Chapel Baptist Births, 1797-1836
- Presbyterian - Church records for the Crosby Street Presbyterian Chapel, Maryport, 1832-1867
- Primitive Methodist
- Roman Catholic
- Scotch Baptist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- United Presbyterian Church of Scotland - Baptisms, 1765-1837 & Church records for Carlisle United Presbytery, 1847-1876 United Presbyterian Church
- Wesleyan Methodist - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Church records, 1854-1920; Maryport Circuit
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Maryport on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), Date accessed and adapted 6 August 2013.