Martinhoe, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Martinhoe, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Devon, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Barnstaple|
|Parish registers: 1632|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Heritage Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MARTINHOE (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwill, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 14 miles (N. E. by N.) from Barnstaple. The parish comprises 2425 acres, of which 1265 are common or waste land.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Martinhoe, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FAMR = FamilyRelatives - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Martinhoe, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Martinhoe on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 269-271. Date accessed and adapted: 30 October 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Devon Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.