Martham, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Martham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||East and West Flegg|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean Chapter of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MARTHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the East and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of West Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 9 miles (N. W.) from Yarmouth. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Martham St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The church was built in the 15th century but most significantly it was extended by an 1870 chancel addition. The work of architect Philip Boyce makes this one of the largest and most impressive in this part of the diocese.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Flegg 1837-1924
- Yarmouth and Flegg 1925-1938
- Acle 1938-1974
- Norwich Outer
Church records[edit | edit source]
Martham, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Martham, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|NTA||1558-1692, 1840-1853 (gaps)||1587-1692||1558-1691, 1840-1853 (gaps)|
Records are deposited at Norfolk Record Office reference PD 710
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library.
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms, burials and marriages 1716, 1770-1800
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526831 Item 14
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Martham.htm transcript of 1891 census
Genealogy From Periodicals
[edit | edit source]
Proctor, Patricia. The Proctor Family, Yorkshire - Norfolk - London - Surrey. History of Francis Proctor and Ann Kett starting in 1658, with movements to Martham, Slaidburn, Clapham Surrey, with the following surnames. Snarr, Cullyer, Hatch, Sexton, Blackbourne, Bates, Linford, Bartlett, dating from 1658-1991. Article in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol. 7. pt 9. June 1995, pages 317-319, Family History Library Ref 942.61 B2j V.7 n.6-17
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Martham on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- for guided tour of the village and church
- Norfolk Churches website
- for history and list of rectors
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848),pp. 266-269. Date accessed: 23 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.