Marden, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Marden, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Marden St Michael & All Angels Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Maidstone|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1567|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MARDEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Marden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W division of Kent, 7¾ miles S by W from Maidstone. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. 
Marden is a village and civil parish in the Maidstone district of Kent, see Marden Kent Wikipedia
Marden St Michael and All Angels is a parish in the Diocese of Canterbury, Deanery website
The Church of St Michael and All Angels, Church Green, Marden has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Marden parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|KOPC = Kent Online Parish Clerks - free|
|Marden Online Parish Records|
|KOPC||1561-1623, 1754-1771, 1813-1880||1651-1880|
International Genealogical Index<br< Marden Independent:Christenings 1812-1837 Batch (C068461) extracted from Births and baptisms at the Independent Chapel in the parish of Marden, Kent, 1812-1836
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Kent Online Parish Clerks (OPC). Includes parish registers, parish chest records, vestry minutes, and workhouse records.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 253-257. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.