Maine, Marriage Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Maine, Marriage Index, 1892-1966, 1977-1996
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Maine|
|Location of Maine|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
|Maine Department of Human Services. State Archives, Augusta, Maine|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains a marriage index for the years 1892-1996, by the Maine Department of Human Services from the Maine State Archives. This index does not have data for the year 1967-1976.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date
- Marriage place
- Certificate number for later marriages
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the bride or groom
- The approximate date of marriage
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Index to Vital Records: Bride's Index to Marriages, 1895-1953. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. The information may lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the certificate number to request a copy of the marriage certificate
- Use the location find the family in census, church, and land records
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have been married in the same place or nearby
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for a different index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Maine.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.