Maidstone Poor Law Union, Kent
History[edit | edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary history of the union.
In 1771 a parish workhouse was built in Coxheath.
Coxheath Poor Law Union was formed on 15 October 1835 but was renamed Maidstone Poor Law Union in 1836. The workhouse building later formed Linton Hospital which subsequently closed and the buildings were demolished in the 1990's. The former workhouse chapel remains in use as a parish church for Coxheath, see Coxheath Holy Trinity, Kent which formed a parish in 1996.
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: Maidstone Workhouse
Constituent Parishes[edit | edit source]
Bearstead, Kent Boughton Monchelsea, Kent East Barming, Kent East Farleigh, Kent Hunton, Kent Linton, Kent Loose, Kent Maidstone All Saints, Kent Maidstone Holy Trinity, Kent Maidstone St Peter, Kent Marden, Kent Nettlestead, Kent Otham, Kent Staplehurst, Kent Teston, Kent Tovil, Kent West Farleigh, Kent Yalding, Kent
[edit | edit source]
Deposited records include:
Kent History and Library Centre
Canterbury Cathedral Archive Bishop's Transcripts see England, Kent, Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Historical Records
This was the workhouse for Maidstone Union at Coxheath. The first burial was on 1 Nov 1840 and the first baptism on 25 Jul 1841