Lydney, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Lydney, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Chepstow|
|Parish registers: 1678|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1661|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Hereford Post 1541- Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LIDNEY, or Lydney (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union of Chepstow, hundred of Bledisloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester,20 miles (S. W. by W.) from Gloucester, and 123 (W.by N.) from London; containing the chapelry of Aylburton. At Aylburton is a chapel of ease; and the Baptists have a place of worship. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Lydney parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|DEAN = Forest of Dean Family History Trust - free|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|Lydney Online Parish Records|
Lydney with Aylburton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Lydney with Aylburton Online Records|
|AC||1864-1870, 1906-1919, 1925-1929||1864-1870, 1906-1919, 1925-1929||1860-1870, 1906-1919, 1925-1929||1860-1870, 1906-1919, 1925-1929|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 78-85. Date accessed: 25 February 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- 'Transcript Summary,' Forest of Dean Family History Trust, accessed 18 July 2016. The Forest of Dean Family History Trust's 'policy is not to show records within the following cut off years - Baptisms 90 years, Marriages 70 years, Burials 30 years.'
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.