Luddenham, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Luddenham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Luddenham St Mary Kent
|Poor Law Union||Faversham|
|Parish registers: 1547|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1568|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LUDDENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Faversham, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E division of Kent, 2 miles NW by W from Faversham. 
Luddenham is a village and civil parish in the Swale district of Kent, see Luddenham Kent Wikipedia
Luddenham St Mary was an Ancient Parish; the redundant parish church was closed in 1971 and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust since 1 March 2002. See St Mary's Church Luddenham Wikipedia and Churches Conservation Trust
The church which dates from the 12th century was restored in 1881-1884. The tower was rebuilt in 1807 and the building remains consecrated for services and is designated a Grade I listed building by English Heritage.British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council Registration Services
Kent ME14 1XX
Telephone 08458 247 400
http://www.kent.gov.uk are developing online search for all birth marriages and deaths as a result of a community volunteer effort. Not all events are capable of search but the index is updated annually.
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records.
There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Luddenham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|Luddenham Online Parish Records|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Luddenham are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Canterbury Family History Centre, Kent
- Gillingham Family History Centre, Kent
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 186-190. Date accessed: 26 August 2013.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.