Lostock Gralam, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Lostock Gralam, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Lostock Gralam, Cheshire|
Church of St John the Evangelist, Lostock Gralam Cheshire
|County||Cheshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Northwich|
|Parish registers: 1844|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1892|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LOSTOCK-GRALAM, is a village and a township in Great Budworth parish, and a chapelry partly also in Davenham parish, Cheshire. The village stands on an affluent of the River Weaver, adjacent to the Altrincham and Northwich railway, it is 2 miles ENE of Northwich; and the post office is under Knutsford. The township contains also the hamlet of Lostock-Green, and comprises. The chapelry includes also the townships of Wincham, Hulse, and Lach-Dennis. A Wesleyan chapel is at Lostock-Green.
Lostock Gralam St John the Evangelist is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1842 from Great Budworth, Cheshire Genealogy Ancient Parish and Witton, Cheshire Genealogy Ecclesiastical Parish. Other places in the parish include: Wincham, Rudheath, Hulse, Lach Dennis, and Lostock Green.
Lostock Gralam was a township in Witton Chapelry of Great Budworth Parish, Bucklow Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. In 1936 part of Lostock Gralam was added to Northwich and Included the hamlet of Lostock Green.
Lostock Gralam is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, situated to the east of Northwich. The civil parish of Lostock Gralam also includes the small hamlet of Lostock Green.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Lostock Gralam Online Parish Records|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Cheshire ($)|
|Ancestry-Church of England BMD-Cheshire ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Cheshire ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Cheshire ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1671-1900 England, Cheshire Non-conformist Records, 1671-1900 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Lostock Green, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan).
- Lostock Gralam, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1894.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist Association
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Vale Royal (1974–98)
Cheshire Central (1998–2009)
Cheshire West (post 2009) registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Lostock Gralam on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date Accessed: 24 March 2013