Llanegwad, Carmarthenshire, Wales Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
LLANEGWAD (LLAN-EGWAD), a parish, in the union of Llandilo-Vawr, partly in the lower division of the hundred of CATHINOG, and partly in the higher division of that of ELVET, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (W. by S.) from Llandilo-Vawr. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Egwad, who is said to have lived here in seclusion and devotional retirement, probably near the spot still called "Eisteddva Egwad," where are the ruins of an ancient and very extensive mansion. The parish extends for nearly seven miles from north to south, and about four from east to west, and is intersected by the river Cothy, which falls into the Towy at this place. The lands, which with the exception of a very small portion, are inclosed, are fertile, and in a good state of cultivation; and the village is pleasantly situated. Search was made by N.B. Jones, Esq., within the last few years, for copper-ore, of which a vein was discovered, but it dipped so considerably below the bed of the river as to render the working of it altogether impracticable. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Welsh and Wesleyan Methodists.
For more information see Llanegwad, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
|County bef 1974||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1974-31 Mar 1996||add here|
|County 1 Apr 1996 -||add here|
|Civ Reg District||Llandilofawr (1881)|
|Reg Sub-district||Llangathen (1881)|
|Probate Court||add here|
|Rural Deanery||add here|
|Poor Law Union||Llandeilo Fawr|
Records[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 1-14. Adapted. Date accessed: 15 January 2014.